The D. Ogden Mills Training School for Nurses at the Adirondack Cottage Sanitarium [later Trudeau Sanatorium] was the beginning of a career in nursing for many women. The school opened in 1912, and trained classes of former tuberculosis patients to be nurses. This photograph shows Frances Higgins (fourth from left) and her classmates three months into their program, after receiving their caps. Frances and her fellow nurses graduated in 1926, and she went on to a lifelong career in nursing.
Learn more about the Mills Training School for Nurses on our wiki.
Stay tuned for more on the history of nursing in Saranac Lake all week!
[Historic Saranac Lake Collection, 2022.8.1. Gift in Memory of Frances Higgins.]
Stay up to date on all the news and happenings from Historic Saranac Lake at the Saranac Laboratory Museum!