Saranac Lake was once a happening destination for the silent film industry! This photograph shows Norma Talmadge as Princess Marie Pavlovna, and Marc McDermott (with beard) as Vasili Lazoff in "The New Moon," filming in Saranac Lake in 1919. Many outdoor adventure films were shot in the snowy wilderness in Saranac Lake.
A transplant from Alaska known as "Caribou Bill" ran a film set on Edgewood Road and provided dogsled services for dramatic race scenes. Locals even got in on the action, serving as extras and stunt doubles.
[Historic Saranac Lake Collection, TCR 151. Courtesy of Linda Friel.]
This photograph shows the first class of the Trudeau School of Tuberculosis in the Saranac Laboratory 1917. The Trudeau School was founded by Dr. Edward R. Baldwin, and offered six-week summer courses for physicians to learn the latest treatment methods for TB. This photograph and others past and present are featured in a new special exhibit, Pandemic Perspectives, opening this week at the Saranac Laboratory Museum. The exhibit invites visitors to compare their experiences during the Covid-19 pandemic to the TB era in Saranac Lake. Stay tuned for more on this special exhibit!
[Historic Saranac Lake Collection, 2021.4. Courtesy of Trudeau Institute.]
The 1933 class of Saranac Lake High School in front of Petrova School. Among the graduates is Thomas B. Cantwell, who went on to be an attorney and civic leader, including serving as President of the Saranac Lake Free Library. The photograph was taken by William F. Kollecker. Congratulations to the Saranac Lake High School class of 2021 and other local high schoolers who graduated last week! You have completed an historic high school career to be sure!
-1933 SLHS graduates, photograph by William F. Kollecker. Historic Saranac Lake Collection, TCR 637.
-2021 SLHS graduates, photograph courtesy of Amy Catania.
Did you know that Saranac Lake has a long history of baseball teams? Here's a Saranac Lake baseball team behind Petrova School, sometime around 1930. These are likely members of the Saranac Lake Red Sox, who played in the old Northern League against teams from Northern New York and Vermont. Welcome back, Surge Baseball!
[Photograph of baseball team by Edward L. Gockeler. Historic Saranac Lake Collection.]
It's HOT! So how about a visit from Jack Frost to cool you down? This early-1900s Winter Carnival postcard shows an icicle-covered Jack Frost riding through downtown Saranac Lake. Milo Miller's store, built in 1867, is visible behind the float. This building is the oldest standing commercial building in Saranac Lake and now houses Owl's Nest Pizza. This card was sent by a tuberculosis patient in 1909, and reads, "Wed. Morn. Had a good night, feel more like myself. How is this."
[Historic Saranac Lake Collection, 2021.3.85. Courtesy of Florence Wright.]
This pre-1921 postcard shows the Adirondack National Bank building on Main Street. The building was completed in 1907, and has housed many banks throughout the years. It was built on the northern portion of the lot that originally belonged to guide Reuben Reynolds. The facade is dramatically different today after a modernization in 1962; it most recently housed KeyBank.
[Historic Saranac Lake Collection, TCR #670. Courtesy of Florence Wright.]
This early 1900s postcard of the Adirondack Cottage Sanitarium shows Ladd Cottage, Anderson Cottage, and Baker Memorial Chapel. ACS was later renamed Trudeau Sanatorium following the death of Dr. E.L. Trudeau in 1915. The cottages were both designed by William L. Coulter, and he worked as part of a firm with J. Lawrence Aspinwall to design the chapel.
Our summer walking tours resume this month, so watch the Historic Saranac Lake website and our social media for dates and tickets!
[Historic Saranac Lake Collection, TCR 394. Courtesy of Gail Meyer]
It seems like warmer weather is on the way, so here's a postcard of a summer scene at Saranac Inn. The Saranac Inn, originally called Hough's, and then the Prospect House, was a large, luxurious hotel located on a peninsula at the northern end of the Upper Saranac Lake in the town of Santa Clara. It was frequented by US Presidents Grover Cleveland and Chester A. Arthur, and New York Governors Charles Evans Hughes and Al Smith. It closed in 1962, and burned to the ground in 1978.
Historic Saranac Lake Collection, TCR 302. Courtesy of Rich and Diane Loeber.
A group having a late-winter picnic at "camp" in the woods. It is part of a collection of photographs from Fletcher M. Durbin's time in Saranac Lake while receiving treatment for tuberculosis in the 1910s. Durbin can be seen standing at the center back in the photograph in the vest and flat hat. Durbin's photographs show many snowshoeing treks with friends, along with cure cottages and local sporting events.
[Historic Saranac Lake Collection, ACC2020.002. Courtesy of John Durbin.]
Patients resting in the fresh air on the veranda at Ray Brook, c. 1944. This photograph came from a recently donated album belonging to Teresa Dare, who came to take the cure from the Utica area. The New York State Hospital for Incipient Pulmonary Tuberculosis, which was commonly known as Ray Brook, opened in 1904 and was the first New York State-operated tuberculosis sanatorium. It stayed open until 1971, much later than the rest of the sanatoria in the area.
[Historic Saranac Lake Collection, TCR 679. Courtesy of Donna Hartless.]
Stay up to date on all the news and happenings from Historic Saranac Lake at the Saranac Laboratory Museum!