Historic Saranac Lake leads tours of the Saranac Laboratory Museum, downtown, and area historic sites. We make in-class presentations and coordinate oral history projects. We host a summer workshop for teachers. We serve hundreds of area students each year, elementary through college age. Contact us to arrange a tour.
An annual NYSCA Arts in Education Grant supports collaboration with local artists to connect seventh graders to local history. The project has included participation by photographer Mark KurtzLed and author Liza Frenette. Click to view Student Cure Cottage Slideshow.
Recently, the Hyperion String Quartet led workshops on the music of Béla Bartók for Saranac Lake high school music students. Music theory, chorus and concert band students of teachers, Keith Kogut and Drew Benware learned about the great composer's work and the time he spent in Saranac Lake during the last summers of his life. This program was made possible by the Jody Sandhaus-Malinverni Memorial Fund, in celebration of Jody's great love for Saranac Lake.
Materials for all age levels
- Lung Tissue Powerpoint: Healthy, TB infected, and flu infected tissue. Developed by Mike Tighe, Trudeau Institute
- "TB: Why do we care and what can we do?" Powerpoint by Andrea Cooper, Ph.D., Trudeau Institute, with thanks to Professor Ian Orme, Colorado State University, for slides in on Multidrug resistant TB
- Schistosomaisis Powerpoint by Tori Freitas, Ph.D. and Edward Pearce, Ph.D., Trudeau Institute.
- Online Teacher Resources: Epidemic: TB in the Global Community
- Trudeau Challenge: One Experiment Always Leads to Another
- Rabbit Island Experimental Outline Worksheet
- Rabbit Island Internal Results
- Recommendations for further study
- Scientific Methods
- Lab Techniques
- Basic Immunology
2013 7th Grade Cure Cottage Slideshow
An Arts in Education project supported by the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature