Patients resting in the fresh air on the veranda at Ray Brook, c. 1944. This photograph came from a recently donated album belonging to Teresa Dare, who came to take the cure from the Utica area. The New York State Hospital for Incipient Pulmonary Tuberculosis, which was commonly known as Ray Brook, opened in 1904 and was the first New York State-operated tuberculosis sanatorium. It stayed open until 1971, much later than the rest of the sanatoria in the area.
[Historic Saranac Lake Collection, TCR 679. Courtesy of Donna Hartless.]
Stay up to date on all the news and happenings from Historic Saranac Lake at the Saranac Laboratory Museum!