Our next Women's History Month feature is Annie Leonard Baldwin. She operated the Baldwin School on Pine Street with her husband Ernest H. Baldwin, who was the brother of Dr. Edward R. Baldwin. The Baldwin School opened in 1908 as a "private day and tutoring school" that served students of all ages. While its offerings and student body changed throughout its 34 years, its main focus was on schooling students whose education had been "interrupted" elsewhere, including those with health concerns. Following the death of her husband in 1922, Annie continued to operate the Baldwin School for 20 more years. She died in 1956.
[Historic Saranac Lake Collection, TCR 448. Courtesy of Barbara Baldwin Knapp.]
Stay up to date on all the news and happenings from Historic Saranac Lake at the Saranac Laboratory Museum!